Audubon Discovery Camp
Explore the Yankauer Nature Preserve and other natural areas at our Audubon Discovery Camp. Several themes are explored each summer, from “Camp Survivor” to “Creepy Crawly Critters.” The camps focus on natural and cultural history as kids explore forests and fields, build forts, turn over rocks and logs, play games, and generally have so much fun they don’t realize how much they’re learning. Our goal is for campers to gain a better understanding of their role in the natural world by using their senses and exploring with mind and body.
When is Camp? Camp is typically held from 9am-3pm Monday through Friday, June and July. Registration begins in February, and space is limited. Children are kept in small groups of 8-10 and are led by experienced staff to ensure safety and individual attention.
How Much Does It Cost? Most weeks are $150/camper (including deposit) with some variation depending on the week’s theme and activities. You can choose to reserve your spot with a $50 registration deposit per session per camper and pay the balance of the fee by May 15 (online or by check). This deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable to another session.
Scholarships Camp Scholarships are available. To view this year’s brochure to see themes, times, and costs, go to the bottom of this page. PVAS reserves the right to cancel programs that are not full.
Before and After Care Before and After care is available for some camp sessions. Fees are $25 per child per week for Before Camp Care (7:30-9:00 a.m.) and $50 per child per week for After Camp Care (3:00-5:30 p.m.) Arrangements must be made in advance through the camp registration portal. Fees are charged by the week even if you use the service for only a few days. Late fees ($5.00 per child for every 15 minutes late) are also charged.
Waiting Lists When camp sessions fill, we offer waiting lists for each sessions. There is no money required to be on a waiting list. Campers are placed in a session in the order they registered for the waiting list. We encourage you to sign up for a waiting list. Although there are no guarantees, in the past, almost every camper on a waiting list has been placed in a camp session.
Registration Registration is available from February – July. Sessions tend to book early, so early registration is recommended! To receive an e-mail reminder when registration is open, of if you would like to register for a camp session by mail, contact camp director Ellen Murphy or call 304-676-8739.
The 2013 Audubon Discovery Camp Flyer is here.
Audubon Discovery Camp Scholarship Application is here.
Information about camp for parents is here.
Yankauer Nature Preserve • Monday –Friday 9am–3pm
Audubon Discovery Camps for 2013
Peter Burr Farm • Monday – Friday 9am–3pm
- Do You Like Spiders and Snakes? // June 10-14 • Ages 6–11 • $150 per camper
- Rock On! // June 10-14 • Ages 10–13 • $200 per camper
- Camp Survivor // June 17-21 or June 24-28 or July 8-12 • Ages 6–12 • $150 camper
- Camp Survivor Waiting List // June 17-21 or June 24-28
- Bugs-A-Billion! // July 1-3, 5 • Ages 6–12 • $120 camper (no camp July 4)
- Camp, Canoe, Canal // July 1-3, 5 // Ages 10-13 $150 per camper (no camp July 4)
Preschool Camps at Yankauer Nature Preserve
- Bugs-A-Billion! // July 8-12 • Ages 6–12 • $150 per camper
- Ol' Time Arts // July 15-19 • Ages 6–12 • $150 per camper
- Out of the Nest // May 28-31 • Ages 3–4 • $50 per first camper / parent team
- Out of the Nest Waiting List // May 28-31
- Just For Fledgings // June 3-7 • Ages 5 (entering kindergarten) • $125 per camper
More Camp Opportunities for Middle and High School
- Junior Staff at Yankauer Nature Preserve & Peter Burr Farm (grade 7 and older) Currently Full
- Teen Digital Photo Camp at Shepherd University (grades 9-12)