Opportunities With PVAS
Audubon Discovery Camp Counselor
Employment dates: June 3, 2019 – July 26, 2019
The Audubon Discovery Camp is an eight week-long summer day camp that runs from 8 am to 4 pm each day. Camp session themes differ each week and camps are held at Yankauer Preserve (between Martinsburg and Shepherdstown, WV) and Cool Spring Preserve (south of Charles Town, WV). Counselors supervise small groups of children (generally 8-10 children, ages 6-10; we also offer a few sessions for pre-teens and preschoolers) and lead them through hands-on nature exploration activities. The camp focuses on natural and cultural history as kids explore forests and fields, build forts, turn over rocks and logs, and play games. Counselors will lead hands-on activities, games and crafts as well as lead children on hikes, teach local natural history, promote sustainability, and help foster an appreciation for nature in children. Counselors develop their own program activities and daily itineraries. Training and all supplies and materials are provided. Required First Aid/CPR certification is provided.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Available Monday through Friday from 8:00 – 4:00, during the weeks of camp
- Positive role model and desire to work with children
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently, and with co-counselors
- Must be responsible and have good decision making skills.
- Outdoor-related interests/skills including: arts & crafts, hiking, fort building, local natural history, Leave No Trace, primitive survival skills
- Task-oriented, takes direction well, shows initiative, and has the ability to interact and communicate effectively with children and young adults
- Willingness to be outside all day, no matter the weather!!!!!!
- Enthusiasm for working with children, a sense of humor, flexibility and desire to have fun!
- Teaching, natural history, and science background preferred
To apply, fill out our Camp Counselor Application here