Counselor in Training (CIT) (entering grades 7-12)
Do you enjoy working with children and wonder what it’s like to be a camp counselor? Become a CIT and serve as a leader at camp, helping counselors foster a fun, nurturing camp experience for all children. Attend our CIT training to practice leadership skills and learn techniques for engaging children in the great outdoors. Then, volunteer for a maximum of three weeks of camp as a CIT where you’ll assist counselors in games and activities. This is a great way to develop core leadership skills, build character, practice responsibility, become a better communicator and start to build your resume.
New this year: All prospective CITs must apply for this volunteer position prior to registering. Once we have received and reviewed your application, we will notify you if you have been selected to be a CIT and you will receive a link to register. Please note that individuals who do not show a commitment to our camp mission in their responses on the application and/or who had behavior problems (as a camper) or lack of growth in leadership skills in previous summers (as a CIT) may not be selected to participate in the CIT program.
You will be notified via e-mail if you have been selected as a CIT within 1 week of submitting this form. If you are selected to volunteer as a CIT, you will be given a link to register through our website.
Do you have what it takes to be a CIT? If you can answer yes to the following questions, we encourage you to apply for a CIT position.
- Do I love being outside and can I handle being outside in the heat all day long?
- Can I be friendly to all campers no matter how different they are from me?
- Can I smile even on my worst days?
- Am I willing to lead games and/or activities that I have been trained to lead?
- Am I able to act as a positive role model for younger campers?
- Do I feel comfortable speaking in front of kids?
- Am I willing to learn new things and accept different perspectives?
- Am I self-motivated and willing to take initiative to keep campers engaged and happy?
- Do I want to make a positive impact on children’ lives?
- Can I take positive and negative feedback?
- Am I concerned about the general safety and well-being of others?
- Will I be able to work as a team player with a group of other counselors?
- Can I take instructions from a counselor and carry out the task?
- Am I flexible and able to adapt to changes easily and appropriately?
CIT’s for Grades K to 1 Camps: $15 non-members, 10% off for members, per week
CIT’s for Grades 1 to 6 Camps: $50 non-members, 10% off for members, per week
CIT’s for Middle School Camps: $50 non-members, 10% off for members, per week
Training (ALL CITs): Yankauer Nature Preserve
June 2 (mandatory)
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
This training is free when you sign-up for one or more weeks as a CIT
CIT Retreat: Yankauer Nature Preserve
July 5 – 6 (optional, but encouraged)
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Additional $40 non-members, 10% off for members
Counselors in Training are also invited to attend a CIT retreat on July 5 and 6 from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Yankauer Nature Preserve. Here they will participate in fun team-building games as well as traditional camp activities. This is also a great opportunity to make friends with other CITs. This experience is highly recommended, but not required.