This fun program is aimed at pre-school and is designed to provide opportunities for small children to explore nature together safely under the guidance of an experienced PVAS instructor. A parent, grandparent or guardian must accompany children.
Two sessions of programs are held monthly at Cool Spring Preserve from 9:30 – 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 – 2:30 p.m. and are $8/child for members, and $10/child for the general public. Additional children are $6/child for members and $8/child for general public.
(If you are not a PVAS member, but would like to become one and receive the member discount/additional member perks, click here.)
- Pre-registration for each program is required.
- A minimum of six participants is needed to conduct the program. The instructor will cancel the program if the minimum is not reached.
To practice social distancing, these programs will be held entirely outside. Parents are required to monitor their child(ren) to maintain social distancing at all times.
Children, parents and instructors are required to wear masks when social distancing cannot be maintained and when they enter a building to use the bathroom.
To maximize safety we will:
- Limit sharing of materials and supplies
- Lend assigned supplies and equipment such as nets, magnifying glasses, binoculars to each participant for the entirety of the program
- Promote healthy hygiene practices
- Conduct health screening of staff and participants upon daily arrival
- Intensify cleaning, disinfection of shared supplies
- Promote physical distancing of at least 6 feet between staff and participants
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces multiple times daily.
- Disinfect bathroom after every use
- Only allow participants to enter inside facility space for restroom use and thorough handwashing only
- Require students to self-clean bathroom after each use
- Provide an experience that is entirely outdoors
Furthermore, PVAS will adhere to the following Daily Arrival Screening Procedures:
- The temperature of each participant will be taken. Participants with a temperature of 100.4° or higher will not be allowed to attend.
- In order to attend, participants must be able to answer “Yes” to all of the following statements:
- Neither the participant nor anyone in the participant’s household have had a fever (temperature of 100.4° or higher) within the past 72 hours.
- Neither the participant nor anyone in the participant’s household have had symptoms of COVID-19, such as shortness of breath or persistent dry cough, within the past 72 hours.
- The participant has not been exposed to anyone that has symptoms of COVID-19 in the 72 hours.
- The participant has not taken any fever reducing medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen in the past 24 hours.
- The participant is free of symptoms of other communicable illnesses, and is healthy enough to engage in program activities.
PVAS will cancel a program if:
- West Virginia Governor’s order restricts group sizes or issues a Stay at Home Order
- Hazardous weather is in the forecast that would create unsafe road conditions or unsafe conditions for being outside.
If PVAS cancels a program, you will receive a full refund.
Parents will be notified by email of any cancelations by 5:00 p.m. the evening before an outdoor school class.
You may cancel your registration and receive a full refund if:
- You do not want to send your child due to concerns about COVID-19
- Your child is feeling unwell
- Anyone in your house hold has COVID-19 or has been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in
- Anyone in your household has had a fever in the last 72 hours
*We understand that last minute cancellations might need to happen, but please try to let us know as soon as possible, so that depending on the circumstance, we can open the spot to someone else.
The Potomac Valley Audubon Society (PVAS) does not exclude, deny benefits to, or otherwise discriminate against any service recipient, applicant, program staff, or the public on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Adult Programs
- Youth Programs
- Teacher Resources
- School Programs