This fun program is aimed at pre-school children ages 3-5. It is designed to provide opportunities for small children to explore nature together safely under the guidance of an experienced PVAS instructor. A parent, grandparent or guardian must accompany children.
Programs are held monthly at Cool Spring Preserve from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. and are $7/child for members, and $10/child for the general public. Additional children are $5/child for members and $8/child for general public.
(If you are not a PVAS member, but would like to become one and receive the member discount/additional member perks, click here.)
- Pre-registration for each program is required.
- Registration for each child must be done individually.
- A minimum of six participants is needed to conduct the program. The instructor will cancel the program if the minimum is not reached.
Program Policies: We know that many parents often need to bring their younger children to the program. Parents must supervise any children not participating in the program at all times.
Health and Safety
To practice social distancing, these programs will be held entirely outside. Parents are required to monitor their child(ren) to maintain social distancing at all times.
Children, parents and instructors are required to wear masks when social distancing cannot be maintained and when they enter a building to use the bathroom.
To maximize safety we will:
- Limit sharing of materials and supplies
- Lend assigned supplies and equipment such as nets, magnifying glasses, binoculars to each participant for the entirety of the program
- Promote healthy hygiene practices
- Conduct health screening of staff and participants upon daily arrival
- Intensify cleaning, disinfection of shared supplies
- Promote physical distancing of at least 6 feet between staff and participants
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces multiple times daily.
- Disinfect bathroom after every use
- Only allow participants to enter inside facility space for restroom use and thorough handwashing only
- Require parents to self-clean bathroom after use
- Provide an experience that is entirely outdoors
Furthermore, PVAS will adhere to the following Daily Arrival Screening Procedures:
- The temperature of each participant will be taken. Participants and family members of participants with a temperature of temperature of 100.4° or higher will not be allowed to attend.
- In order to attend, participants must be able to answer “Yes” to all of the following statements:
- The participant and members in the participants household have not had a fever (temperature of 100.4° or higher) within the past 72 hours.
- The participant has not had symptoms of COVID-19, such as shortness of breath or persistent dry cough, within the past 72 hours.
- The participant has not been exposed to anyone that has symptoms of COVID-19 in the 72 hours prior to the start of camp or during the camp session.
- The participant has not taken any fever reducing medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen in the past 24 hours.
- The participant is free of symptoms of other communicable illnesses, and is healthy enough to engage in daily activities including outdoor play.
Inclement Weather: If inclement weather is in the forecast and the instructor decides to cancel or reschedule a program, you will be notified by e-mail either the day before the program or by 8:30 a.m. on the day of the program.
Cancellations: Fees are refundable if the program is cancelled by instructor, or cancelled by the parent more than one week in advance or due to a COVID related concern. If you need to cancel for a session you’ve registered for, please notify the lead instructor, Amy Moore (firstname.lastname@example.org), as soon as possible.
Upcoming Events › Wee Naturalists (Pre-K)
- No matching events listed under Wee Naturalists (Pre-K). Please try viewing the full calendar for a complete list of events.
Wednesday, Sept. 23, “Flutter By, Butterfly,” 10:00 -11:00 a.m.
We’ll learn the characteristics and colors of common butterflies and learn about their life cycles. Then, we’ll hit the trails in search of butterflies on the preserve!
Wednesday, Oct. 7, “Fall is Here!,” 10:00-11:00 a.m.
We’ll explore the seasonal changes that come with fall and the many shapes and colors found in nature, especially in leaves.
Wednesday, Oct. 21, “Animal Homes,” 10:00-11:00 a.m.
Let’s investigate what animals make their homes at Cool Spring. Your child will become a nature detective as they flip over logs and rocks, hunt for holes and nests in trees, and search for burrows in the ground.
Wednesday , Nov 4, “Wiggly Worms,” 10:00-11:00 a.m.
In this program we’ll get down in the dirt in search for worms! We’ll also discuss how worms can be used for composting!
Wednesday, Nov 18 “Turkey Time,” 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Let’s learn about Turkeys! We’ll investigate turkey feathers, read a Turkey story, and play a fun game where we make believe we are turkeys searching for food!
Wednesday, Dec 2 “Critters in the Cold,” 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Let’s learn about how critters stay cozy in the winter!
Wednesday, Dec 16 “Oh Deer!,” 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Let’s learn about White-tailed deer! We’ll take a look at deer bones, tracks and fur, as well as go on a hike in search of signs that deer have been there. We might even see a deer too!
- Adult Programs
- Youth Programs
- Teacher Resources
- School Programs