Ages 3 – 5
Locations: Cool Spring Preserve (near Charles Town) and Yankauer Nature Preserve (near Shepherdstown)
This fun program is aimed at pre-school children (aged 3-5) and is designed to provide opportunities for small children to explore nature together safely under the guidance of an experienced PVAS instructor. A parent, grandparent or guardian must accompany children.
- Pre-registration for each program is required.
- A minimum of six participants is needed to conduct the program. The instructor will cancel the program if the minimum is not reached.
- Maximum program size is 10 children.
- A parent or guardian must accompany the child.
- Click here to view our policies related to educational programming.
- NEW THIS SEASON: Spanish-enhanced offerings beginning March 2024!
|will help translate and introduce some vocabulary in Spanish so everyone can learn together.
Whether you are in a bilingual household or solely speak English at home, this Spanish-enhanced program is for you! Here’s why:
- Early exposure to multiple languages can enhance children’s communication skills, even when children are monolingual
- Studies show that children use more language diversity in outdoor settings; thus nature programming can offer opportunities for increased talk necessary for language development
- Language learning can be enhanced by the everyday nature objects found in the outdoors
- The outdoors offers a more relaxed, yet active and alert state that is optimal for language learning
- Opportunities for intentional embedded vocabulary development are also well-supported by the outdoors
If you have any questions, please contact Amy Thomas at amy@PotomacAudubon.org
Spring 2024 Programs:
**Registration for March, April, and May programs opens February 1, 2024
February- Likin’ Lichens
What exactly is lichen and where can we find it? For this program we’ll explore how fungi and algae work together to create an entirely new organism: Lichen. We’ll go in search of lichen on a hike, and by the end of the program, you and your little one will definitely take a likin’ to Lichen!
March- Camo Critters
|Which animals are masters of disguise?
|¿Qué animales son maestros del disfraz?
In this program, we’ll learn about what creatures blend into their surroundings and which creatures are the best at mimicry or copying others.
March 6 at Cool Spring Preserve
March 20- at Yankauer Preserve
April: Spring Has Sprung
Abril: Ha llegado la primavera
|It’s Spring! Can we find any flowers blooming? Can we hear frogs in the marsh (at Cool Spring)? Which birds have returned from migration? What insects are out and about?
|¡Es primavera! ¿Podemos encontrar alguna flor floreciendo? ¿Podemos oír ranas en el pantano (en Cool Spring)? ¿Qué aves han regresado de la migración?¿Qué insectos hay por ahí?
Join us on this spring scavenger hunt as we look for signs that Spring has sprung!
April 17 at Cool Spring Preserve
April 24- at Yankauer Preserve
May 8: Under the Water (Cool Spring Preserve)
8 de Mayo: Bajo el agua (Cool Spring Preserve)
|What critters live in Bull Skin Run at Cool Spring Preserve?
|¿Qué bichos viven en Bull Skin Run en la reserva Cool Spring?
For this program, we’ll use nets from the creek’s banks to try to catch fish and aquatic insects that call the water home.
May 21: Salamander Safari (Yankauer Preserve)
Do you know that Yankauer is a great place to find salamanders under rocks, logs, and leaves?
Let’s go on a salamander safari to see if we can find these slimy friends!
- All Ages
- Schools & Educators