Ruth Ann Dean Memorial Birdathon
PVAS Top Birder 2020:
Wil, Bob and Matt will conduct individual Big Sits at their personal, ‘stay-at-home’ space. During their Big Sits, the three birders are tasked with counting as many bird species as possible in one defined area, during a 24-hour period, anytime between May 10 and May 23. Whoever identifies the most bird species will be crowned PVAS Top Birder 2020.
But they need the community’s support to earn the use of birding privileges to help them perform at their best. You get to decide which birder you favor for the Top Birder crown and sponsor that birder’s efforts. Your contribution, of any amount, will combine with other donors, allowing them access to the following birding privileges.
If the birder raises X dollars, then they earn Y privilege, as follows:
- $100 – the birder may use binoculars
- $200 – may use binoculars and have an assistant birder (quarantine companion)
- $300 – binoculars, an assistant, and they may count birds heard in addition to birds seen
- $400 – binoculars, an assistant, ability to count birds by ear, and they may use a spotting scope
- $500 – binoculars, an assistant, ability to count birds by ear, spotting scope and they may count birds at a feeder
All funds raised will support PVAS’s Habitat Stewardship Programs (Grassland Birds Initiative, Protected Pollinator Patch and Wildlife Habitat), which seek to educate landowners on the best management practices for sustaining habitat for our native wildlife species on their own properties.
Click the images below to learn more about Bob, Matt and Wil. When you’re ready, follow this link to sponsor the birder of your choice!