A friendly, team competition to see who can count as many birds of as many species as possible at Cool Spring Preserve in a one-week period.
How to Participate:
- Gather friends! Form a team (1-4 participants) and come up with a clever name (i.e. Millennial Falcons).
- Make a plan! Pick a day and time (or multiple days and times) between May 1 and May 7 to meet up with your team to bird at Cool Spring Preserve. Keep it fun! For example: bring a picnic lunch or wine and snacks.
- Submit your data! Keep track of all birds observed, both species and number. Teams are encouraged to use eBird but should also email them to KC Walters. All lists matter and contribute to our knowledge and record keeping of the birds of Cool Spring!
- WIN! The team who observes the greatest number of species wins an 8×10 commission of a bird of choice in watercolor or pencil courtesy of Dana Wyatt Art! In addition, they will be added to the honorary Birdathon plaque displayed at Cool Spring and featured in our bi-monthly Valley Views Newsletter.
- Donate! If you enjoyed participating in this event, please consider making a donation supporting PVAS programing.
Not a birder or looking for a family-friendly option? Print out and complete this fun bird scavenger hunt instead! Bring your completed scavenger hunt to the Nature Center at Cool Spring on any weekday during Birdathon between the hours of 9am and 3pm to exchange for a prize!
Please email KC Walters with any questions you may have!
- PVAS Birding Programs
- Birding Community Science
- Birding Trail
- Appalachian Trail, Jefferson Co., WV
- Antietam National Battle Field, Washington, County, MD
- Cacapon State Park
- Cool Spring
- C&O Canal Washington, Co., MD
- Eidolon Nature Preserver, Morgan Co., WV
- Flowing Springs Park, Jefferson Co., WV
- Harper’s Ferry National Park
- Indian Springs WMA, Washington Co., MD
- Poesy Hollow Area
- Shanondale Springs WMA, Jefferson Co., WV
- Shenandoah River
- Sideling Hill Wildlife Management Area
- Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area
- South Mountain Parks Area, Washington Co., MD
- Stauffer’s Marsh Nature Preserve, Berkeley Co., WV
- Yankauer Nature Preserve, Berkeley Co., WV
- Birding Resources