PVAS’s Outdoor School is a great opportunity for your child to participate in hands-on, experiential learning in the great outdoors. Each session’s focus will be guided by the seasonal changes and by participants’ observations and interests. Participants can expect to hike and have time for nature exploration at every class. Sign up for either a two-class session at Cool Spring Preserve or a two-class session at Yankauer Nature Preserve. We keep the group size small; 10 kids total with two adult instructors.
If you have any questions, please contact Amy Thomas at Amy@PotomacAudubon.org
Fall 2023 Sessions:
Due to the colder temperatures in December, we will only be holding Outdoor School at Cool Spring where there is inside shelter for students to go inside to warm up.
What to bring to Outdoor School: (Please label with your child’s name)
- A snack ( We eat a snack around 10:00 a.m.)
- A packed lunch
- Sunscreen and bug spray (for reapplying later in the day)
- A backpack or bag to hold all of the child’s belongings
- A refillable/reusable water bottle/s already filled to start the day (We have water for refills)
- Clothes that are appropriate to comfortably spend the majority of the day outside in
- Rain jacket or poncho if rain is in the forecast
We want all children to have a chance to come to Outdoor School no matter their financial circumstances. Scholarships to attend Outdoor School are available for families with financial need and qualify for the Federal Free/Reduced School Lunch Program. Click here to see if you qualify for this program.
You can apply in 2 ways:
- Download, print and mail our Outdoor School Scholarship Form.
- Complete the Outdoor School Scholarship Form online.
Do not register for Outdoor School if you are applying for a scholarship. PVAS will notify you within 2 weeks of receiving your scholarship application to inform you if you have received the scholarship, the scholarship amount and provide you with a link to a registration form for scholarship recipients. Spaces are held in each of our Outdoor School sessions for scholarship recipients so that sessions will not be fill up before you receive your scholarship.
- Schools & Teachers