- This event has passed.
Birdathon: Community Collaborative Big Day
Sunday, May 10 - Saturday, May 23
May is Birdathon month!
Help celebrate our annual Ruth Ann Dean Memorial Birdathon by participating in the Community Collaborative Big Day. This is a free community activity – though donations are always welcome – and everyone in our service area is invited to participate.
Our goal is to, as a community, collaboratively observe and count at least 100 different bird species within PVAS’s four-county service area of Jefferson, Berkeley, and Morgan counties in WV and Washington County, MD.
Here’s how to join the fun:
- Gather your team (you can go solo, or join up with your quarantine companions) and come up with a clever name.
- Pick any day between May 10 – May 23.
- Have a “Big Sit” in your backyard or neighborhood. A Big Sit consists of recording as many bird species, seen or heard, in one location for up to 24-hours.
- Submit your species list by doing one of the following:
- PVAS will then combine the data submitted by each team to see if, together, we can reach the goal of 100 different bird species.
We hope you’ll participate! There is also a second aspect of Birdathon this year – a fundraiser/Top Birder competition that supports PVAS’s Habitat Stewardship Programs; find more info at this link.