- This event has passed.
Ready or Not, The Cicadas Are Here! A Search for Cicadas at Cool Spring Preserve
Thursday, May 27, 2021 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Trip Leader: Clark Dixon
PVMN 1 hour Continuing Education Eligible; 1-2 hours Volunteer Service
- Registration is required and limited to 14 participants (if you can no longer attend, please notify email@example.com so that others may attend)
- Outdoor only (the Nature Center remains closed)
- We encourage masks be worn when in a close group setting
- Respect the 6 feet+ apart/physical distancing guidelines when possible
- If you are sick or have been sick within the past two weeks (or been around anyone else that is sick), please stay home
Clark will begin the evening with a brief introduction on cicadas on the back deck of the nature center. After the discussion/informational gathering, participants will be invited to spread out in search of emerging cicadas!
Family households can search together and if with others, individuals should search observing recommended distance.
Prior to the activity download the Cicada Safari app which provides lots of information about the 17 year Periodical Cicada, Brood X and provides opportunity to report cicada sightings.
Brings a flashlight, comfortable shoes, insect repellant and your phone to record what you find. A hat might be useful to keep cicadas out of your hair as there should be cicadas flying around. If you choose, bring a whistle that can be used let others know when cicada activity is spotted.
At the end of the evening the group will come together and share their findings and answer any questions.
Please contact Krista Hawley at AdultPrograms@PotomacAudubon.org or 681-252–1387 with any questions you may have.