- This event has passed.
Master Naturalist Volunteer Opportunity at Cacapon State Park
Friday, November 15, 2019 - Saturday, November 16, 2019
PVMN Volunteer Service Opportunity: Oriental Bittersweet Removal at Cacapon Resort State Park
This Volunteer Service Opportunity is available to all Certified Master Naturalists and Master Naturalist Candidates, however registration is required, please register here: Sign Up Genius – PVMN Volunteer Opportunity
The Oriental Bittersweet Removal Volunteer Service Opportunity is available two different weekends, with up to three shifts available per weekend. Those who work both the Friday and Saturday morning shifts are able to stay at the Cacapon Resort lodge, free of charge.
Please use this link to sign-up for your desired weekend(s) and shift(s): Sign Up Genius – PVMN Volunteer Opportunity
November 1st -2nd Weekend: Click here to view 11/1 – 11/2 event
Friday, November 1st: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Saturday, November 2nd: 9 a.m. to 12 noon
Saturday, November 2nd: 1 to 5 p.m.
November 15th – 16th Weekend:
Friday, November 15th: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Saturday, November 16th: 9 a.m. to 12 noon
Saturday, November 16th: 1 to 5 p.m.
Please read details below:
- The work will involve cutting Oriental Bittersweet vines from the base of trees and other areas. The park will provide tools, however, please bring your own work gloves
- Dress for the weather by wearing a hat, long pants, long sleeve shirt, comfortable footwear; bring water, sun screen, snack, work gloves
- The work will take place along the park entrance road and lake. No hiking nor elevation change, with a short walk to the work area
- Opportunity to earn up to 22 total volunteer service hours, 11 each weekend
- Any volunteer who has a meal(s) at the restaurant will receive the “employees discount” rate
- Overnight lodging is available for both Fridays (November 1st and 15th) to the first 10 volunteers to sign up who wish to stay overnight
- For lodging, volunteers must sign up to work both a Friday time slot and the Saturday morning time slot
- Lodge rooms are double occupancy and are set aside for volunteers only – two volunteers to a room
- Each time slot will have a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 10 volunteers
- If travel to Cacapon State Park is over 20 minutes, volunteers can use their travel time as volunteer hours
Information about Invasive Species that are found at Cacapon Resort State Park available to download here:
PowerPoint Presentation: Oriental Bittersweet Removal @ Cacapon State Park
Information about Cacapon Resort State Park: https://wvstateparks.com/park/cacapon-resort-state-park/
Please email or call Krista Hawley (email@example.com) or Erin Shaw (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions (ph: 681-252-1387)