Discover – Learn – Share
This page is intended for use by certified Master Naturalists.
Maintaining PVMN certification each year requires 16 hours of volunteer work and 8 hours of continuing education.
Your Help is Needed!
The PVMN Coordinating Committee has developed three new positions in order to respond to and better serve the growing PVMN community. We are looking for a volunteer for the each of the following roles:
- Technical Leader
- Communication Leader
Certified Master Naturalists and PVMN Students are welcome to fulfill these roles. For more information, please contact Rich Brager (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kris Phillips (email@example.com). Please consider helping to improve the PVMN Program!
Volunteering To Maintain Your Certification
The purpose of volunteer work is to provide a service to the community with regard to natural resources, and to help the volunteer gain knowledge and experience. Volunteer Projects must either involve educating the public or enhancing the natural resources of our state. Some ways to find volunteer opportunities include:
- Check out the PVAS Events Calendar under Volunteer Opportunities
- Review emails from PVAS and PVMN detailing upcoming volunteer opportunities
- Become a PVAS Weed Warrior. A Weed Warrior helps combat invasive plants at the four nature preserves managed by PVAS. You can learn more by visiting the Weed Warrior page
- Learn about Community Science projects in WV
- Consider countless other opportunities that you may hear about; volunteer work should meet the criteria described above
- Note: Travel time can be included as part of your time volunteering (i.e., include travel time as part of your service hours in Track It Forward, the PVMN electronic tracking system)
Continuing Education To Maintain Your Certification
Continuing education to maintain PVMN certification should include subjects not previously studied during initial certification, although a continuing education training opportunity that covers the subject in more depth or from a different perspective could qualify. Some examples of how you can receive continuing education:
- Attend the monthly PVAS meetings (you can enter 1 hour of continuing education in Track It Forward, the PVMN electronic tracking system)
- Check out the PVAS Events Calendar under Master Naturalist (look for “PVMN Continuing Education Eligible”)
- Attend the Annual West Virginia Master Naturalist conference
- Register for courses offered by other environmental groups (including but not limited to: National Conservation Training Center, Smithsonian Institute, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Cape May Bird Observatory)
- Reminder: Master Naturalist classes offered as part of the initial certification are not open to certified MN
Remember to enter the hours you volunteered and the hours associated with your continuing education into Track It Forward, the PVMN electronic tracking system. Please enter hours soon after you complete the volunteer activity or continuing education. Here is a link to the Track It Forward Instruction Sheet and to Track It Forward to enter your hours. If you have any questions about capturing your volunteer hours or continuing education in Track It Forward, please contact the Data Management Coordinator, Debbie Crouse (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Resources for PVMN Master Naturalists
- PVMN Policy Manual and By-Laws
- PVMN Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Track It Forward Instruction Sheet and Track It Forward to enter hours
- Links tab on this PVMN website
- We are on Facebook (PVMN Naturally!).
- The PVMN CC, which includes the following members
|Chair:||Rich Brager and Kris Phillips (interim co-chairs)|
|Chair Emeritus:||Clark Dixon|
|Data Management Coordinator||Debbie Crouse|
|Instruction and Training Coordinator:||Kris Phillips|
|Recognition Coordinator:||Maria Parisi|
|Recruitment and Retention Coordinator:||Rich Brager|
|Student Coordinator:||Lisa Kovatch|
|At-Large Members:||Philip Folk and Susan Loonsk|
|PVAS Representative:||Krista Hawley|
If you have any questions, please send an email to PVMN@PotomacAudubon.org or call 681-252-1387. The PVAS Representative will get you in touch with the appropriate PVMN CC Member.